Reasons to study this course
- Excellent preparation for a career in Art & Design.
- Discover your own strengths and develop a professional-standard portfolio.
- Work on projects assigned by industry professionals, including opportunities to exhibit your work in public venues.
- Students on this programme progress to university to study Art or Design, or into Art and Design related employment.
What you will need to study this course
- commitment to Art and Design
- hard work ethic
- enthusiasm for producing personal and unique work
- passion for the subject
What you will study
Drawing, painting, textiles and ceramics, photography and illustration. You will build your confidence and skills in Year 1 before deciding on your specialism for Year 2 when your work will be independently driven towards your chosen specialist subject. You will learn how artists and designers work. This choice or pathway enables you to develop a high level of work in your chosen area for university or employment.
How you will be assessed
The final grade assessment is based on a practical based Final Major Project, which will be displayed in an end of year show.
As well as working in the studios you will be encouraged to participate in research trips and gallery visits. As part of your course you will have the opportunity to talk to visiting speakers from university and from industry about careers and courses. You will be taught by specialist staff who share their expertise.
You will build a strong portfolio that will allow you to apply for top university places or go on to work in the Creative Industries in full-time employment / apprenticeships. Other options include progression onto the Art Foundation course.