Reasons to study this course
- It is a progression route to AS Maths for suitable candidates.
- The course is taught alongside AS Maths students for the first term.
- Assessments in the first term will indicate your suitability for the AS Maths course.
What you will need to study this course
- grade 6 or above in GCSE Maths
- GCSE average of 5 or above
What you will study
You will study key areas of algebra such as equations, inequalities and quadratics.
How you will be assessed
One two-hour exam in June.
There will be one extra lesson a week to provide additional support with the AS work and to prepare for the exam. You will also have the opportunity to attend Maths lectures and trips.
The Award in Algebra can help provide access to the AS Maths course for those students who have an average GCSE score of between 5 and 5.5 and who have a grade 6 or higher in GCSE Maths. Many students who study AS and A-Level Maths then go on to pursue careers in areas such as engineering, statistics, operational research, computing, accountancy, actuarial work, business management, insurance, financial services and teaching.