REASONS TO STUDY THIS COURSE
- A chance to learn about the Classical World of Ancient Greece and Rome – the foundation of our modern world.
- Study the Classical World’s great people, wars, sacrifices, ideas, gods and epic stories.
- Read and learn about some of the most exciting adventure stories from the ancient imagination.
- Develop a range of skills such as writing and analysing texts.
- Excellent preparation for university or most professional careers.
WHAT YOU WILL STUDY
Year 1 (AS) – The Iliad, Homer’s much-loved epic of the Trojan War, and the Image of the Emperor, which is all about the first Roman Emperor Augustus.
Year 2 (A-Level) – The great Roman epic, the Aeneid, Virgil’s mighty tale of the origins of the Roman nation, and Greek religion, the beliefs and practices of the Classical religion.
The AS course can be completed as a stand-alone qualification.
HOW YOU WILL BE ASSESSED
AS – two exams
A-Level – three exams
University courses and careers in heritage, classics, history, anthropology and a wide range of other allied subjects. Classics is a solid academic subject which can serve as a strong grounding for a variety of careers, such as writing (J K Rowling), politics (Boris Johnson) and business (Martha Lane Fox).
Ancient History Encyclopedia www.ancient.eu
The Iliad, Poetry in Translation www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Greek/Ilhome.php
Augustus, BBC History www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/augustus.shtml
Augustus, Biography Online www.biographyonline.net/military/augustus-caesar-biography.html