REASONS TO STUDY THIS COURSE
- The Classical world was the foundation of our modern world. Learn about this fascinating era that still shapes our world today.
- Study the Classical world’s great people, wars, sacrifices, ideas, gods and epic stories.
- Read and learn about some of the most exciting adventure stories from the ancient imagination.
- Develop a range of skills such as writing and analysing texts.
- Excellent preparation for university or most professional careers.
WHAT YOU WILL STUDY
Year 1 (AS) – Homer’s much-loved epic of the Trojan War, the Iliad and the image of the emperor all about the first Roman emperor Augustus and his incredible achievements.
Year 2 (A-Level) – the great Roman epic tale, the Aenid, Virgil’s mighty tale of the origins of the Roman nation, and Greek religion, the beliefs and practices of the Classical religion.
The AS course can be completed as a stand-alone qualification when you follow the first year of the A-Level course.
HOW YOU WILL BE ASSESSED
AS – two exams
A-Level – three exams
University courses and careers in heritage, classics, history, anthropology and a wide range of other allied subjects. Classics is a solid academic subject which can serve as a strong grounding for a variety of careers, such as writing (J K Rowling), politics (Boris Johnson) and business (Martha Lane Fox).