In 2022 our Year 2 BTEC dance students were joined by those on our enrichment course and together they produced a stunning performance of Fallen Women. It was choreographed for camera and captured by Luke Video after hours of rehearsals. The final result was a stunning piece of work made possible by the dedication of the dancers and our incredibly talented Productions Arts students. Fallen Women takes you on a journey back to the darkness and despair experienced by the women who were incarcerated within the Irish Magdalene Laundries for many, many years.
Reasons to study this course
- We have an outstanding success rate and opportunities for progression into leading dance colleges and universities across the country.
- You will take part in diverse and rigorous training in a multitude of dance styles and genres.
- We organise visiting professional dance company workshops.
- Your training will take place in a professional and rewarding environment.
- There will be opportunities to perform in a variety of showcases and public performances.
What you will need to study this course
- passion, drive and ambition to succeed in improving your dance skills
- commitment and time management skills to meet all coursework deadlines
- professionalism at all times
- supportive and encouraging of others in order to create a positive and supportive working environment
What you will study
Exploration of dance styles for example Jazz, Contemporary and Dance Theatre
Development of choreographic skills
Development of performance skills
Exploration of the professional dance industry, dance career opportunities, self promotion etc.
How you will be assessed
Project-based assignments throughout the programme
Your progress will be continuously monitored and assessed
Oxygen is the college’s contemporary dance company, which strives to create interesting and original works from a variety of different stimuli, whilst also continuing to develop your technical skills. The process and exploration of choreographing is an extremely important part of the company, as is the opportunity to showcase dance works and perform to live audiences. Application is through audition and is open to anyone studying at Priestley College.
The BTEC course alongside the support, guidance and audition preparation offered by staff will thoroughly prepare you for your next stage of training at the country’s leading dance colleges.