Reasons to study this course
- Outstanding success rate and opportunities for progression into the UK’s leading dance colleges and universities.
- Diverse and rigorous training in a multitude of dance styles and genres.
- Visiting professional dance company workshops.
- Professional and rewarding training environment.
- Opportunities to perform in a variety of showcases and public performances.
What you will need to study this course
- passion, drive and ambition to succeed in improving your dance skills
- commitment and time management skills to meet all coursework deadlines
- professionalism at all times
- supportive and encouraging of others in order to create a positive and supportive working environment
What you will study
Examples of units covered during year 1 and 2 include Contemporary Dance Theatre, African Dance, Lyrical Dance, Urban Dance, Performing To An Audience Project and Improvisation Skills.
How you will be assessed
You will be assessed every half term on a performance you give in the genre that you are currently studying. You will also have written assignments as part of each unit which count towards your overall grade.
Oxygen is the college’s contemporary dance company which consists of a group of talented, dedicated and passionate dancers who strive to create interesting and original works from a variety of different stimuli, whilst also continuing to develop their technical skills. The process and exploration of choreographing is an extremely important part of the company, as is the opportunity to showcase dance works and perform to live audiences. Application is through audition and is open to anyone studying at Priestley College.
The BTEC course alongside the support, guidance and audition preparation offered by staff will thoroughly prepare you for your next stage of training at the country’s leading dance colleges.