REASONS TO STUDY THIS COURSE
- You want an insight into the sustainability sector, one of the fastest growing in the UK.
- You want an introduction to the various elements of sustainability.
- Discover why it is important to have knowledge and awareness of sustainability that can be passed on to others.
- The course supports entry to a variety of HE courses in this sector and beyond.
- You will have the opportunity to experience Work-Related Learning with an employer.
WHAT YOU WILL STUDY
Year 1: Certificate
What is sustainability: what is being done globally, nationally and locally to achieve sustainability and how industry can play a role in achieving these goals.
Urban environments: what is the impact of urban development on the environment, and what strategies can be used to counter the associated problems?
Geology of natural resources: what are the geological natural resources which modern society depends on? How are they formed, their exploration and extraction and the environmental impact of their exploitation.
Year 2: Subsidiary diploma
Sustainable communities: what is a community and how can it develop in a sustainable way?
Science for environmental technicians: what are the essential principles and processes, which underpin an environmental worker’s understanding of the Earth?
Independent investigative project.
HOW YOU WILL BE ASSESSED
Coursework / portfolio only
Full-time degree courses, apprenticeship or employment including ecology, waste management and recycling, conservation, government policy unit, journalism and land management or town and country planning.