REASONS TO STUDY THIS COURSE
- Choose your own topic and title. Titles this year ranged from “Are humans really made of stardust?” to “What makes the perfect pop song?”
- Demonstrate that you are an independent learner.
- Learn skills that universities and employers value greatly.
- EPQ is the only AS in which you can achieve an A* (28 UCAS points).
- Some universities make lower UCAS offers based on EPQ grade.
- You can take EPQ in either Year 1 or Year 2; it is a one-year course.
- You can combine it with most other courses.
- Link it to your favourite subject, a career plan or a passion.
- You become the expert in the classroom rather than the tutor.
- Our results: almost half A* and A, two-thirds A* to B,
- Outstanding Value Added.
WHAT YOU WILL STUDY
What makes a good research title as well as how to carry out academic, detailed and balanced research. How to structure a convincing academic argument. How to reference academic sources appropriately. How to test the credibility of sources and to detect bias. How to give a convincing, professional and entertaining. Presentation to an audience of your peers.
HOW YOU WILL BE ASSESSED
100% coursework plus a dissertation of at least 6000 words. The majority of students opt for the dissertation, but alternatives
to the essay are: an Investigation/Experiment/Field Study, a Performance or an Artefact plus 2,000 words.
Completing the EPQ will position you as a strong candidate for university places as you will develop key skills including independent learning, research and time management.