REASONS TO STUDY THIS COURSE
- You have a real interest in law, but prefer a combination of coursework and exams rather than just exams.
- You want to learn vocational skills such as writing legal letters and creating information leaflets.
- You want to progress onto a law apprenticeship or job as a paralegal.
- You want to progress onto a law degree or law-related degree such as criminology.
WHAT YOU WILL STUDY
The first year (BTEC Certificate in Applied Law) encompasses two units:
- Dispute solving within the civil law
- Investigating aspects of the criminal law and legal system
The second year (BTEC Extended Certificate in Applied Law) encompasses two further units:
- Applying the law
- Aspects of tort
HOW YOU WILL BE ASSESSED
One exam and several coursework assignments in each year. Exams are based around a pre-released case study.
Results from both years contribute equally to the final Extended Certificate in Applied Law grade. This is the vocational equivalent of one A-Level.
You can apply to study law or other subjects at university or apply for employment with bodies such as the Crown Prosecution Service or the Legal Services Ombudsman. Alternatively, you may try to obtain a paralegal post within a law firm.