REASONS TO STUDY THIS COURSE
- Gives you the numeracy skills to compete for jobs with better salaries.
- It will strengthen your maths skills, vital for many careers.
- Helpful if you study Geography, Business Studies, Psychology or Economics.
- The course will deepen your skill in the selection and use of mathematical methods and techniques.
WHAT YOU WILL STUDY
In this two-year linear course you will study problem solving in a real context. For example, working out the income tax and National Insurance a person needs to pay. Analysing real world situations mathematically, as well as applying mathematical techniques. Challenges that will develop your transferable skills and mathematical thinking, reasoning and communication.
HOW YOU WILL BE ASSESSED
Two written papers at the end of your second year.
- Maths on the back of an Envelope: Clever ways to (roughly) calculate anything by Rob Eastaway
- Why do buses come in threes?: The hidden maths of everyday life by Rob Eastaway
- Humble Pi: A comedy of maths errors by Matt Parker
- Core Maths recommended listening – More or less: Behind the stats, a podcast by BBC Radio 4
Mathematical Studies can be used in higher education, employment and everyday life. It will be particularly useful to support further study or careers in Business, Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Economics, Geography, ICT, Psychology, Sociology and Health Care.