Reasons to study this course
- As an addition to A-Level Mathematics it provides a wider breath of Mathematics.
- It is useful if you wish to progress to further study in Maths, Engineering or any Maths-related course.
- Enables you to use your talent in Maths and to achieve your full potential.
What you will need to study this course
- Grade 8 or above in GCSE maths
- to enjoy Mathematics and a challenge
- good organisational skills
- happy to work independently and in a group
- able to meet deadlines
What you will study
In Further Mathematics you will study topics which give you a breadth and depth to your mathematical knowledge. The course covers Further Pure, Further Statistics and Further Mechanics. In Further Pure you will cover topics such as complex numbers, matrices, proof and vector geometry. Dimensional analysis, work, energy and power, momentum and circular motion are covered in Further Mechanics. Probability, probability distributions, correlation and linear regression are covered in Further Statistics.
How you will be assessed
Year 1 (AS) – three exams
Year 2 (A-Level) – four exams
Many past students have taken part in the prestigious Engineering Education Scheme.
Further Mathematics provides good career opportunities. Maths graduates have the opportunity to select from a wide and varied range of careers due to the flexibility of the degree course, its applications and the excellent transferable skills acquired.