Reasons to study this course
- You would like to make a career in the media industries.
- You have a keen interest in studying and producing media.
- You want to use industry-standard equipment and software in the production of your own media.
- You enjoy a subject that is all coursework.
- The course is equivalent to three A-Levels over two years.
What you will need to study this course
- keen interest in the media
- you should enjoy analysis, discussion and practical work
- you should also enjoy creative work as you will be generating your own ideas for productions, which you will then produce
What you will study
This course will allow you to develop your knowledge and understanding of the media industry and enables you to focus on a specialist area after an initial introduction to a wide range of disciplines.
The topics of study include film and video production, photography, interactive media and radio and audio production.
You will follow industry practice to research, plan and produce a variety of media texts such as magazine photoshoots, a film trailer, music video and a radio show.
Year 1: Diploma in Creative Media Production and Technology – equivalent to 1.5 A Levels
You will study 8 units
1. Introduction to media processes and technical skills
2. Introduction to design and research skills in creative media production
3. Introduction to professional practice in creative media production
4. Critical and contextual awareness in creative media production
5. Investigating audio production and technology
6. Investigating visual production and technology
7. Investigating interactive production and technology
8. Developing a creative media production project
Year 2: Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production and Technology – equivalent to three A Levels
You will build on what you achieved in the first year in the study of 5 units
1. Characteristics and contexts in creative media production
2. Engaging with an audience in creative media production
3. Preparing for progression in creative media production
4. Specialist study in creative media production
5. Extended project in creative media production
How you will be assessed
All units are internally assessed and moderated by a visiting moderator. No exams.
Students will have the opportunity to work on the college radio station, Radio Wave. There will be a range of enrichment activities. In the past students have taken part in residential visits to London and New York.
You can go on to university where there is a wide range of media-related qualifications including video and film production, advertising and marketing, scriptwriting and journalism. You can also apply for media apprenticeships or employment in the media industries.