Reasons to study this course
- Priestley has an outstanding reputation and track record for students progressing onto Production Arts related subjects within the most prestigious universities.
- Excellent preparation for a career in numerous Production Arts areas such as Stage Management, Lighting Design, Sound Design and Theatrical and SFX Makeup.
- Opportunities to take a number of production roles inside and outside of college.
What you will need to study this course
- interest in theatre and wider production genres
- ability to work take part in essential rigging, technical rehearsals and performances outside of normal college hours
- willingness and ability to work in a team and independently
What you will study
Year 1 (Foundation Diploma) – A basic understanding of lighting, sound, SFX makeup, projection and set design. Opportunity to operate and stage manage a performance. You will design and make a model box, devise, make and record your own sounds, create realistic facial and body injuries and design and build large set designs.
Year 2 (Extended Diploma) – Develop your new skills with a focus on your preferred expertise. You will also learn mask making, prosthetics, advanced stage lighting and set design.
How you will be assessed
Practical job roles for productions
Coursework in the form of online portfolios
Trips sampling different performance genres including The Harry Potter Studios in Leavesden as well as the opportunity to join the wider Media and Performing Arts trip to New York. Numerous enrichment activities ranging from Stage Makeup to Technical one-to-one tuition. Work experience opportunities.
Numerous university courses including Stage Makeup, Lighting Design, Set Design, Stage Management and General Technical Degrees. Careers and further training posts have recently included students gaining prestigious technical degree places across the country. This course can be combined with other creative subjects such as Dance, Fine Art and Textiles, Performing Arts and Music.