Reasons to study this course
- To gain a real insight into the work carried out by the Public Services and the skills required to succeed in a career in this field.
- To discover how the Public Services operate and deal with various situations.
- To prepare you for direct entry into the Public Services or for a university course in public service or other related degrees such as Criminology, Law and Outdoor Education.
What you will need to study this course
- willingness to participate in a range of activities and being prepared to lead a team on occasions
- real interest in a career in the Public Services, although it is not necessary to know which one yet
- ability to meet deadlines
What you will study
Units may include Government Policies and the Public Services, Team Leadership and Development, Citizenship and Diversity in the Public Services, Physical Preparation for the Uniformed Services, Aspects of the Legal System and Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions.
How you will be assessed
Coursework, written tasks, practical activities and presentations.
Activities organised by your tutors including Police and Fire Service visits and personal activity days with the Army, RAF, Navy and Royal Marines. There is also an opportunity to take part in an overseas study trip. Public Services students have travelled to New York and also undertook a residential with the Royal Marines at the training centre in Devon.
You will be well prepared to apply for a position in the Public Services or to continue your study in Higher Education. Previous students have successfully entered the Army, Navy, RAF and Royal Marine Commandos. We have students who are currently serving with the Police. Higher Education courses that students have progressed onto include Public Services, Policing, Criminology, Law, Sociology, Sport, Outdoor Activities and Criminal Justice.