Reasons to study this course
- It provides a dynamic learning experience to prepare you for a career in sport.
- The course combines practical and theoretical learning.
- It will prepare you for university.
- You can combine it with two or three other AS-Levels and/or a sports academy.
- It is an ideal alternative to A-Level PE if you do not regularly play one of the sports on the exam boards list.
What you will need to study this course
- five grade 4s or above
- grade 4s in Maths and/or English
- passion for sport
What you will study
Four units completed over two years.
Year 1 = two units (one externally assessed)
Year 2 = two units (one externally assessed)
The units include Anatomy and Physiology, Fitness Training, Professional Development in Sport and Practical Sport.
How you will be assessed
The external assessments will be either examinations or set tasks which are marked by Pearson. The internally assessed units will be created and set by your teachers and could include such assessment methods as verbal recordings, podcasts, observed practicals, written reports and presentations.
The course runs alongside our sports academies which give you the opportunity to compete at local, regional and national level. We also offer coaching courses, volunteering opportunities and a variety of trips to enhance your learning. These range from visiting the Manchester Velodrome to a warm weather training camp at Club La Santa in Lanzarote.
The course is ideal preparation for Higher Education and progression into careers in the sport sector. Students who have completed the BTEC Extended Certificate in Sport have gone onto pursue careers in teaching, sports rehabilitation, coaching, fitness and sports development.