Reasons to study this course
- It provides a dynamic learning experience to prepare you for a career in sports science.
- The course combines practical and theoretical learning.
- It will prepare you for university.
- You will benefit from work experience.
- You can combine it with another AS-Level and/or a sports academy.
What you will need to study this course
- five grade 4s or above, including a grade 5 in Science
- Grade 5 in science
- Grade 4s in Maths and English
- passion for sport
What you will study
13 units over two years. You will study six of these in the first year, two of which are externally assessed and the other four are assessed by your teachers. The units include topics such as Anatomy, Psychology, Research Methods, Coaching, Fitness Training and Sports Massage.
How you will be assessed
The external assessments will be either exams or set tasks which are marked by Pearson. The internally-assessed units will be created and set by your teachers and could include such assessment methods as; verbal recordings, podcasts, observed practicals, written reports and presentations.
The course runs alongside our sports academies which give you the opportunity to compete at local, regional and national level. We also offer coaching courses, volunteering opportunities and a variety of trips to enhance your learning. These range from visiting the Manchester Velodrome to warm weather training at Club La Santa in Lanzarote.
The course is ideal preparation for Higher Education and progression into careers in the sport and exercise sector. Students who have completed the BTEC Sport & Exercise Science course have gone on to pursue careers in teaching, physiotherapy, sports rehabilitation, coaching, biomechanics, performance analysis, paramedic science and radiotherapy.