Reasons to study this course
- It combines your passion for practical sport with a sound theoretical underpinning that will help you succeed in a career in sport.
- You will benefit from real work experience.
- The course includes access to National Governing Body coaching/officiating courses.
- It will prepare you for university.
- The course can be combined with another AS-Level and/or a Sports Academy
What you will need to study this course
- five grade 4s or above
- grade 4 in Maths and/or English
- playing or officiating in sport on a regular basis
What you will study
The course consists of six units in the first year. The units include topics such as careers in sport, practical sport, health and wellbeing, coaching skills, sports development and self-employment in sport. You will also be required to work with our community partners to volunteer in sport.
How you will be assessed
The internally assessed units will be created and set by your teachers and could include such assessment methods as verbal recordings, podcasts, observed practicals, written reports and presentations.
The course runs alongside our sports academies which give you the opportunity to compete at local, regional and national level. We also offer coaching courses, volunteering opportunities and a variety of trips to enhance your learning. These range from visiting St George’s Park (England’s training camp) to an international scholarship tour.
The course is ideal for students who want to progress into careers in sport, either through an apprenticeship, US scholarship, direct employment or university. It is anticipated that students who complete this course will pursue careers in professional sport, coaching, fitness, performance analysis, sports development or nutrition.