Reasons to study this course
- Explore your interest in art and design in a 1-year, immersive experience
- Focus is on lessons of a practical nature as an alternative to a more academic route
- Facilitate the transition to study at level 3
- Develop skills necessary to progress to Level 3 studies in a range of art and design subjects, including fine art, photography, graphic design, fashion, textiles, product design and others
- Develop transferable skills, such as organisation, oral and written communication, presentation and group work; relevant for progression to employment, apprenticeships and other Level 3 courses
- Learn about the career demands and opportunities within art and design
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE THIS COURSE
- Three GCSEs at grade 3 or an example of your own art work
- An interest in art and/or design
- A commitment to education and willingness to get stuck in to practical workshops and sketchbook work
What you will study
The course comprises of four projects completed over the course of one year.
You will learn skills in a range of specialisms including drawing, painting, printmaking, textiles, ceramics, photography, and moving image.
You will be expected to produce practical work in the art studio and keep a sketchbook with notes, planning, research and reflections.
You will participate in live projects, exhibitions, attend trips.
At the end of the year you will produce a ‘Final Major Project’ of your choice and exhibit your work in the Priestley Summer Show.
How you will be assessed
Formal assessment of your sketchbook, research and practical work at the end of each project. A ‘Final Major Project’ is externally moderated and determines the overall qualification grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction. Submission includes sketchbook work, practical work and a final exhibition.
You will have the opportunity to use the wide range of studio facilities available at Priestley College, including printing equipment for etching, block and screen
On completion of the course you have the opportunity to apply to relevant L3 courses including AS and Vocational qualifications at Priestley College. Your performance on the course, alongside existing qualifications, will be taken into account in your application. Information on apprenticeships or employment opportunities will also be available.