T-Levels at Priestley

Priestley is one of the first colleges in the country, and the first locally, to be offering T-Levels from September 2020.

The two-year technical courses have been developed with employers to help you gain the skills and knowledge to secure highly skilled employment, a higher apprenticeship or higher-level study.

T-Levels combine classroom theory, practical learning and an industry placement that will give you the chance to apply this theory and gain genuine experience of the workplace.

Around 80% of your time will be spent at college with the remaining 20% being spent at your placement. This will give you the opportunity to develop the employability skills you need for your chosen career.

What is different?

T-Levels will include an industry placement with an employer.  Around 80% of your time will be spent in the classroom with the remaining 20% being spent on placement. This differs from an apprenticeship, which is typically 80% on-the-job and 20% in the classroom.

T-Levels combine classroom theory, practical learning and an industry placement that will give you the chance to apply this theory and gain genuine experience of the workplace.

Around 80% of your time will be spent at college with the remaining 20% being spent at your placement. This will give you the opportunity to develop the employability skills you need for your chosen career.

How long is the industry placement? 

The industry placement will be up to three months, although the specific length of the placement, and when it will take place during the two-year course, will depend on your T-Level.  Placements could be undertaken as a block, or as individual days, depending on the model that works best for employer, young person and the college.

Why study a T-Level?

T-Levels are ideal if you have completed your GCSEs and want to get into a skilled job. They will enable you to build the knowledge and experience you need to get the job you want. They are being developed in collaboration with employers with a focus on giving you the skills employers are looking for.

Can I go to university after a T-Level?

Yes. T-Levels will prepare you to progress into a skilled job, but you can also choose to take further technical training, such as a higher apprenticeship or degree. T-Levels will have the same UCAS points as three A-Levels.

Why would I choose an unpaid T-Level over a paid apprenticeship?        

A T-Level will give you the opportunity to continue your studies and get a much broader idea of what itís like to work in a certain sector, with the opportunity to specialise later.  Apprenticeships are paid, work-based training for those who know what occupation they wish to pursue.

What qualifications do I need to be able to study a T-Level?

To study T-Levels at Priestley you will need to have achieved five GCSEs at grade 4 to 9, including English and Maths. To study Software Development you will need a 5 in Maths.

Will there be any support for transport costs?       

Priestley College has designated funding to help support industry placements, which can be used to support you with your travel costs. You can find out more by speaking to Student finance or by visiting our next open day.

When can I apply?

Applications at Priestley College will open in October 2019, please visit apply.priestley.ac.uk to submit an application, or call our admissions team on 01925 415415 for more information.

To express an interest in, and stay informed about, T-Levels please email admissions@priestley.ac.uk

T-Levels for employers

T-levels are made up of a range of components, including concepts and theories, employability skills, numeracy, literacy and digital skills and occupational specialisms.

As part of the full programme of study, learners will also complete a minimum of 315 hours (approx. 45 days) in an occupationally specific industry placement, focussed on developing practical and technical skills. The placement should be with an external employer in a real life working environment.

T-levels are based on employer-designed standards, which will prepare students for highly skilled jobs or higher technical study. These are the same standards as apprenticeships.

As part of a T-level programme, students will need to complete an industry placement.

These students will arrive work ready and will be expected to complete 45 days of work experience covering 315 hours (consisting of 7-7.5 hours per day). Industry placement can be completed throughout the academic year and we would work closely with you to arrange a structure to meet your industry’s needs.

If you are interested in supporting industry placements get in touch with us at placements@priestley.ac.uk

To download our T-Level leaflet click the button below..