Reasons to study this course
- It combines your passion for football with a sound theoretical underpinning that will help you succeed in a career in sport.
- There will be opportunities to develop your ability to play, coach and officiate football and futsal.
- It provides real work experience in football coaching and officiating.
- The qualification includes access to National Governing Body coaching/officiating courses.
- It prepares you for university, USA scholarships or employment in coaching/refereeing.
- You can combine the course with another AS-Level and/or a Sports Academy
What you will need to study this course
- five grade 4s or above
- grade 4 in Maths and/or English
- to be involved in football, either playing, officiating or coaching at a good local level on a regular basis
What you will study
Year 1 – six units, which are all internally assessed. Units include Careers in Sport, Practical Sport, Health & Wellbeing, Coaching skills, Sports Development and Self-employment in Sport. You will also be required to work with our community partners to volunteer in sport.
How you will be assessed
Internally assessed units, which could include verbal recordings, podcasts, observed practicals, written reports and presentations.
The course runs alongside our sports academies which give you the opportunity to compete at local, regional and national level. We also offer coaching courses, volunteering opportunities and a variety of trips including a visit to St George’s Park (England’s training camp) and an international scholarship tour.
Careers in sport either via apprenticeships, a US scholarship, direct employment or university. It is anticipated that students who complete this course will go on to pursue careers in professional sport, coaching, fitness, performance analysis, sports development or nutrition.